Kick Off the Summer in Sunny Fort Lauderdale
When it comes to celebrating Memorial Day weekend, Fort Lauderdale has plenty of fantastic options for entertainment and relaxation. Whether you’re traveling alone, enjoying the long weekend with your family, or partying with friends, you’ll find a variety of indoor and outdoor events and attractions near our Fort Lauderdale, Florida, hotel. We’ve created a list of highlights below to help you begin planning your weekend getaway.
This popular outdoor beach event features exciting activities for people of all ages, and includes displays from local artists, a classic car show, live entertainment, and so much more.
Where: Fort Lauderdale Beach Hub, A1A and Las Olas Boulevard
When: Sat, May 27th, all day
- Great Music & Entertainment
Enjoy a variety of DJs and seven live bands performing throughout the day on two stages.
- Sandcastle Contest
Judged by LivingSand artist John May, this annual contest takes place from 10am to 1pm and prizes are awarded in a variety of categories. No experience is necessary to participate.
- Military Tribute
In observance of Memorial Day, a military tribute will feature a precision freefall parachute routine. Para-commandoes will skydive from 12,500 feet and land on designated targets on the beach.
- Family Fun Zone
Kids and parents can enjoy hula-hoop, limbo, and twister contests. There’s also water balloon tossing, face painting, beach water slides, life-sized board games.
- Art Exhibits
Well-known and up-and-coming artists will feature their displays and exhibits.
A huge hit with kids, families, and nature lovers, this 60-acre botanical garden is home to the largest collection of Florida native wildlife and hosts a variety of events throughout the year.
Where: 3750 S Flamingo Rd
When: May 27 – 29, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Price: $19.95 adults ages 12+, $12.95 ages 3-11, free ages 2 and under. Free for members.
- Travel back to the time of the dinosaurs at this traveling historic exhibition – which is coming to South Florida for the first time.
- Experience authentic jungle settings and 27 life-sized dinosaurs
- Unearth dinosaur bones in Dino Dig and see a real, fossilized dinosaur egg!
Hop aboard this fun-filled sightseeing cruise that transports guests along the historic New River in Fort Lauderdale. You’ll see the stunning mansions along Millionaire’s Row, local wildlife and more.
Where: Bahia Mar Yachting Center (near Ft. Lauderdale Beach)
When: Daily, morning, afternoon, and evening cruises available
- Bring your camera and enjoy a fully narrated sightseeing cruise down New River, known as “Venice of America”.
- This 500-passenger ship offers a 1.5-hour sightseeing cruise and a 4-hour dinner cruise.
- 4. The Fort Lauderdale Historic Walking Tour
Learn more about the area’s rich background and historic tales about its early pioneers.
Where: Historic Village and River Walk, Downtown Ft. Lauderdale
When: Tours are offered daily at 10 am
- The tours last about 1.5 hours and is appropriate for all ages.
- Expert tour guides tell stories of settlers and offer unique insight to the area’s most notable sights
This open-airboat tour offers a variety of educational sightseeing voyages though the Everglades. No Ft. Lauderdale vacation is complete without experiencing this uniquely Florida attraction.
Where: 1006 N US Highway 27 (Sawgrass Recreation Park)
Where: Open daily, from 9 am – 5 pm, with After Dark Adventures also available
Price: Admission varies depending on tour. General Admission for 30-minute Airboat ride is $22.95+tax for Adults (13+), $12.95+tax for Kids (4-12), children under 4 are free.
- The ride lasts about 30 minutes, while the captain narrates about current wildlife and flora.
- Enjoy exciting stories about the Seminole Indians and explore Florida’s natural beauty.
- After Dark Adventure cruise lets you discover the mysteries of the Everglades at nighttime. The cruise lasts about an hour. You won’t see any gators, but you’ll spot their glowing red eyes!
Celebrate Memorial Day at Our Hotel Near Fort Lauderdale
As you can see, there’s always something fun and exciting happening in South Florida, especially during Memorial Day weekend. As one of the top-rated hotels near Ft. Lauderdale, The Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation puts you within minutes of all the action, including the area’s top attractions:
- BB&T Center Event Venue – 10 min.
- Sawgrass Mills Mall – 12 min.
- Hard Rock Café (and Casino) – 13 min.
- Las Olas Riverfront – 20 min.
- Paradise Cover Water Park – 20 min.
So, book your room today and start planning a Memorial Day weekend you’ll never forget!